BOCA RATON, Fla. – Although the offense was spotty in the first half, three second-half goals propelled Lynn University's eighth-ranked men's soccer team to a 4-0 victory over Embry-Riddle on Saturday night. The Fighting Knights received even better news following the match as a Florida Tech loss secured Lynn the Sunshine State Conference regular season title.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Score: Lynn 4, Embry-Riddle 0
Records: Lynn (12-1-1), Embry-Riddle (2-7-3)
Location: Bobby Campbell Stadium | Boca Raton, Fla.
Series History: Lynn leads series 8-0 all-time (last met in 2015)
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Blue & White were looking for offensive answers as a dead stalemate ensued through the opening 25 minutes of action.
- Substitute Bruno Sanitz brought about some energy on the offensive end after engaging in breakaway shot minutes after entering the match. Unfortunately the shot was saved by ERAU keeper Richard Dearle.
- Sanitz would not be denied in the 39th minute, though, as he buried his attempt on the right side of the 18-yard box off an assist from Bruno Militz, to send Lynn into the locker room with a 1-0 lead.
- Jack Watson would wake the offense from its slumber with consecutive goals over a four minute span.
- His first score came off a fantastic look from Dominic Docherty after an Eagles turnover in the middle third of the field. Docherty fed a pass through the central defense, Watson beat Dearle to the ball and with a flick of his foot put Lynn on top 2-0.
- Four minutes later, Alun Webb sped past his defender on the right wing and cross a wonderful ball into the 6-yard box, where an unmarked Watson lay waiting for the volley.
- The scoring output concluded in the 74th minute. Militz took on two defenders from the left wing and straddled the back line before ripping a shot towards net. The ball went through Dearly and off an unsuspecting defender's leg to make it a 4-0 Lynn victory.
STATS OF THE GAME:
- Lynn dominated the score sheet with a 29-6 advantage in shots and 5-2 lead in corner kicks.
- Dearle was credited with seven saves and Roth earned the shutout despite not recording one save.
- Watson and Sanitz scored goals while Militz, Docherty and Webb collected assists.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- Lynn's men's soccer team won its 13th SSC Championship, the most among any sport at Lynn. Of the 13 titles, nine have been in the regular season.
- The last SSC title for the men's soccer team came in 2014, when the squad won the regular season and tournament titles en route to the NCAA Division II National Championship.
- Lynn has now claimed 37 conference titles as a whole.
- This is the seventh SSC title for head coach John Rootes.
- Sanitz's goal was the first of his career and is only the third game-winner from a Fighting Knights offensive player (Watson- 9, Webb-2, Sanitz-1).
- Watson has logged consecutive multi-goal games, giving him four on the season. He has also scored in six straight matches and in 12 of 14 games this year.
- Watson has 18 goals and 41 points.
- Webb and Docherty are tied with eight assists apiece.
- Watson needs four more goals to tie his career-best of 22 set in 2014.
The Fighting Knights conclude their regular season on Wednesday, Oct. 26, when they host Florida Southern at Bobby Campbell Stadium. Be sure to arrive to the field early as Lynn will honor the 2016 senior class prior to the start of the match. Fans will be able to watch the game live at LynnFightingKnights.com.