BOCA RATON, Fla. – Coming into Wednesday night's matchup, Jack Watson had accounted for nine of the team's 12 game-winning goals. The junior striker added to that total in a 1-0 Lynn University men's soccer victory over Florida Southern, netting his 19th goal of the year and 10th game-winner.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Score: Lynn 1, Florida Southern 0
Records: Lynn (13-1-1, 7-1-1 SSC), Florida Southern (6-6-1, 2-5-1 SSC)
Location: Bobby Campbell Stadium | Boca Raton, Fla.
Series History: Lynn leads 20-2 all-time (last met in 2015)
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The physical nature of the match was set early as the two squads committed eight fouls in the opening 10 minutes of action.
- Lynn had the early opportunity with Dominic Docherty missing on corner kick header from inside the 18-yard box.
- Watson turned the tide with his 19th goal of the season in the 39th minute of play. His partner in crime Alun Webb sent a low cross from the right wing towards the near post, with Watson tipping a shot attempt before the Moccasins defender and keeper could mark him.
- The junior forward looked as though he would notch his third consecutive multi-goal outing just minutes into the second half but a pair of shots within the penalty area were blocked by the Florida Southern defense.
- Lynn saw multiple offensive opportunities missed while Florida Southern ramped up its own offensive attack.
- The Mocs had failed to attempt a shot on goal until the 80th minute when Rene Rivera broke free of the defense for a one-on-one attempt. Alexander Roth raced out to meet Rivera and made a diving stop to keep the Lynn lead.
- Roth would go on to make another break-away stop, this time against Jacob Ling-Vannerus after the Blue & White defense turned the ball over inside the 18-yard box.
- Callum Carsley gave the Mocs one last-ditch effort with a lofting shot only to see Roth push the ball over the crossbar as time expired.
STATS OF THE GAME:
- Lynn outshot Florida Southern 19-5 but the Mocs had a 7-3 advantage in corner kicks.
- The physical match saw a combined 31 fouls but no cards.
- Roth turned away three shots, all in the final 10 minutes of play while FSC's Cole Clingerman stopped three shots.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- Lynn honored its four seniors prior to the start of the match: Bernd Eilers, Adam Hutchinson, Bruno Militz and Victor Moriera.
- Watson needs one goal to tie and two, to break the record for game-winning goals in a season set by Chris Hellmann in 2014.
- Watson has now scored in seven consecutive matches and in 13 of 15 games overall.
- Webb has assisted on seven of Watson's 19 goals.
- Roth earned his seventh shutout of the year, the most since Lynn's 2012 national championship season.
- Lynn tied the program record for SSC victories in a season. The Fighting Knights have won seven SSC matches six previous years (2014, 2012, 2008, 2007, 2003, 1998).
The Fighting Knights won the regular season SSC title and will await to see if they earn the top-seed and right to host the SSC Championship. Lynn has clinched a first round bye and will next compete on Friday, Nov. 4, in the SSC Championship semifinals. Fans can keep up with the action at LynnFightingKnights.com.