West Palm Beach, Fla. – Lynn University's men's soccer team inched closer to the trifecta of titles following a 5-3 penalty kick shootout victory over Tampa in the finals of the SSC Championship on Sunday afternoon. Adam Hutchinson secured the SSC Championship title with the final penalty kick, giving the program 14 SSC titles and Lynn University 38 overall.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Score: Lynn 0, Tampa 0 (Lynn wins 5-3 in PKs)
Records: Lynn (14-1-2), Tampa (11-4-3)
Location: Rinker Athletic Campus | West Palm Beach, Fla.
Series History: Lynn leads 23-13-2 all-time (last played Oct. 5, 2016)
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Tampa jumped on a pair of offensive opportunities within the first 20 minutes with Jason Collister and Fredinho Mompremier each putting shots on frame. Alexander Roth, though, continued his mastery in net with saves on both accounts.
- Lynn awoke in the second half with shots by Jack Watson and Dominic Docherty in the first nine minutes, but Tampa keeper Jake Richards turned both attempts away to maintain the scoreless match.
- The first overtime period came and went with Mompremier logging a weak attempt on net, which was saved by Roth. The Fighting Knights pushed forward more in the second OT and had their best opportunity in the 106th minute.
- Adam Hutchinson lined up the free kick from the top of the box and had his shot cleared off the goal line by the Spartan defense, sending the match into a penalty kick shootout.
- Watson led off for Lynn with an emphatic goal, which was immediately answered by Lewis Sugden. Alun Webb made it 2-1 but Mike Ciluffo knotted the match 2-2. Two more goals by Niklas Tasky and Jake Winship kep the score tied 3-3 but in the fourth round the Fighting Knights made their move. Christoph Maug buried his attempt but Troy Tucker saw his shot ricochet off the top of the crossbar.
- Hutchinson set down the ball and lined up his shot. The senior captain stared down the keeper and converted on the final PK to give Lynn the sweep of the SSC titles in 2016.
STATS OF THE GAME:
- Lynn held a sizeable 16-8 advantage in shots but a slim 5-4 edge in corner kicks.
- Roth tallied four saves on the day with Richards stopping five shots.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- Lynn's tournament title is the fifth in school history, tying the SSC record held by Rollins.
- Since the SSC Tournament was reinstituted in 2003, one team has won both the regular season and championship titles on five occasions, with Lynn accomplishing the feat four times (2016, 2014, 2008 & 2003). Rollins won both titles in 2006.
- Adam Hutchinson was named the tournament's Most Outstanding Player. Joining him on the SSC All-Tournament team is Jack Watson, Alexander Roth, Tomer Bitton and Niklas Tasky.
- This marked the first time in eight games Watson was held without a point.
- Roth collected his eighth shutout, the most since 2012.
The Fighting Knights awaits its fate for the NCAA Tournament. Check back to LynnFightingKnights.com for more information.