West Palm Beach, Fla. – The 10th-ranked Lynn University men's soccer program wasted little time showcasing its talented 2017 squad as the Fighting Knights poured it on offensively in the second half Friday evening for a 5-0 victory over Auburn Montgomery in the season opener. Five different players found the back of the net for Lynn, led by a three-point effort from Elliott Legg in his Blue and White debut.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Lynn 5, AMU 0
Records: Lynn (1-0), Auburn Montgomery (0-1)
Location: Rinker Athletic Camp | West Palm Beach, Fla.
All-time Series: Lynn leads 4-0-1 (last meeting, 2016)
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
STATS OF THE GAME:
- Five Fighting Knights tickled the twine in a balanced offensive attack.
- Jack Watson was the only goal scorer in the first half, beating the keeper 1-on-1 to open up the scoring in the 11th minute.
- Lynn wouldn't strike again until the 66th minute when Legg and Max Herbert connected to find Alun Webb open for the goal.
- Legg and Herbert allied once again in the 79th, with Legg scoring this time off of a block. A minute later, Tomer Bitton got on the scoresheet with an unassisted goal.
- Callum Porteous would close out the scoring in the 87th minute, knocking home a rebound off a Lukas Borner attempt.
- Alexander Roth played all 90 minutes in goal to earn the win.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- The Fighting Knights outshot the Warhawks, 23-1, and accounted for all 10 corner kicks in the match.
- Lynn is ranked No. 10 in the nation by the United Soccer Coaches top-25 preseason poll.
- Roth notched the ninth clean sheet of his Lynn career, having now recorded a shutout in over half of his collegiate starts.
- Lynn and AUM also met in last year's season opener with the Fighting Knights winning 9-1.
The Fighting Knights will have two days rest, returning to action on Sunday, Sept. 3 for their home opener. Lynn takes on Alabama Huntsville at 6 p.m. from Bobby Campbell Stadium.