BOCA RATON, Fla. – A huge first half goal by Max Herbert and two monstrous saves by Alexander Roth led Lynn University's fifth-ranked men's soccer team to a 1-0 victory over No. 23 Rollins on Wednesday night. The shutout extends the program record of consecutive shutouts to start the season to six and improves the Fighting Knights record to 6-0-0 overall and 2-0-0 in Sunshine State Conference play.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Score: Lynn 1, Rollins 0
Records: Lynn (6-0-0, 2-0-0 SSC); Rollins (4-1-1, 2-1-0 SSC)
Location: Bobby Campbell Stadium | Boca Raton, Fla.
All-Time Series: Lynn leads 23-8-2 all-time (last met in 2016)
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
STATS OF THE GAME:
- Max Herbert scored the lone goal of the match in the 36th minute of play Christoph Maug sent in a low cross from the right wing to the center of the field. Herbert took a touch to his left and drilled a shot off the back of a Rollins defender and over keeper Julian Grundler.
- The two teams tied 3-3 in shots over the first half but Lynn ended outshooting Rollins 14-5 overall in the match.
- Roth ended the game with two saves while Grundler added five stops.
- Two of Roth's stops came at point blank range to preserve the lead. The first was in the 41st minute and the last in the 52nd minute.
- Lynn held a 7-2 advantage in corner kicks.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- This marks Lynn's first victory over Rollins at home since a 1-0 win in 2012 and snaps a three-game winless streak at home to the Tars.
- Lynn is the only NCAA Division II institution to not allow a goal this year and one of only three schools in the nation, joining Division III schools St. Joseph's College of Maine and Tufts.
- This is the 18th time in program history the Blue and White have opened the season 6-0 (2014, 2012, 2005-09, 2003, 2000-01, 1997-98, 1993, 1990, 1986-88).
- Herbert's goal, the first of his career, makes it 10 different members of the Fighting Knights to score a goal this season.
- Roth collects his 14th career shutout.
The Fighting Knights are back on the pitch Saturday, Sept. 30, at 7 p.m. when they travel to St. Petersburg, Fla., to take on Eckerd. Fans can watch the action live at LynnFightingKnights.com.