BOCA RATON, Fla. – Lynn University's fourth-ranked men's soccer team dominated possession from wire-to-wire on Saturday night against a conservative Saint Leo University defense. The Fighting Knights finally broke through in the 75th minute, garnering a 1-0 Sunshine State Conference victory over the Lions.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: #4 Lynn 1, Saint Leo 0
Records: #4 Lynn (8-1-0, 4-1-0 SSC), Saint Leo (2-6-1, 1-3-1 SSC)
Location: Bobby Campbell Stadium | Boca Raton, Fla.
All-time Series: Lynn leads 21-9
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
STATS OF THE GAME:
- Senior winger Alun Webb buried the lone goal of the night off an assist from Martin Drobits. Drobits made a run up the left flank, played a cross into the middle and found Webb all alone at the six-yard box who half-volleyed the bouncing feed into the back of the net.
- Lynn held an 11-4 advantage in shots and a 7-3 edge in corner kicks. Elliott Legg, Stefan Strohmaier and Tomer Bitton all fired off two shot attempts in the game.
- Saint Leo's netminder Conor McElhinney posted the only save of the game while Lynn keeper Alexander Roth earns the win and the clean sheet.
- Fouls were called early and often as Saint Leo (18) and Lynn (14) combined for 32.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- Three of Lynn's last four victories have been 1-0 contests.
- Roth collects his seventh clean sheet of the season and 15th in his Blue and White career.
- Webb's six goals on the season leads the team and ranks in a tie for first at the top of the conference leaderboard.
- Lynn has defeated Saint Leo each of the past two seasons by a one-goal differential.
Lynn next heads south to Barry on Wednesday, Oct. 11 for a 6 p.m. conference matchup.