Miami Shores, Fla. – A goal from Max Herbert minutes into the second half netted Lynn University's ninth-ranked men's soccer team a 1-0 victory over long-time rival Barry University on Wednesday evening. With the win, head coach John Rootes becomes the program leader in conference victories with 56.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Score: Lynn 1, Barry 0
Records: Lynn (9-1-0, 5-1-0 SSC), Barry (1-5-2, 1-4-1 SSC)
Location: Buccaneer Field | Miami Shores, Fla.
All-Time Series: Lynn leads series 24-10-5 all-time (last met in 2016)
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
STATS OF THE GAME:
- Herbert found the back of the net in the 54th minute off a pass from Stefan Strohmaier and that was all Lynn needed for the victory.
- Lynn outshot Barry 13-9 overall but the Buccaneers managed only one attempt on goal.
- Alexander Roth tallied one stop while Marco Sordi managed eight saves.
- The Fighting Knights also managed six corner kicks to Barry's five.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- Rootes improves to 56-20-3 all-time in SSC play, surpassing the late Shaun Pendleton, who was 55-14-5.
- All three of Herbert's goals have gone for game-winners.
- Roth collected his eighth shutout of the season, matching his total from 2016, and the 16th of his career.
- Lynn's eighth shutout ties for the third most under head coach John Rootes.
- The victory over Barry snapped a two-game winless streak against the Bucs.
The Fighting Knights are back in action on Saturday, Oct. 14, at 2 p.m. when it hosts Tampa on Lynn University's Parents & Families Weekend. Fans can watch the action live on the Lynn Sports Network.