BOCA RATON, Fla. – The fierce rivalry between Lynn University's men's soccer team and the University of Tampa continued with a 2-2 draw on Saturday afternoon. Tampa scored minutes into the match and just before the end of regulation while the Fighting Knights added two second-half goals.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Score: Lynn 2, Tampa 2
Records: Lynn (9-1-1, 5-1-1 SSC), Tampa (4-3-2, 3-2-1 SSC)
Location: Bobby Campbell Stadium | Boca Raton, Fla.
All-Time Record: Lynn leads series 23-15-4 all-time (last met in 2016)
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
STATS OF THE GAME
- Tampa found the back of the net 5:48 into the match.
- Tomer Bitton scored the equalizer 20 seconds into the second half off an assist from Simon Kraemer.
- Alun Webb was tripped up inside the 18-yard box in the 61st minute and converted on the penalty kick to give Lynn a 2-1 lead.
- The Spartans' tallied the game-tying goal in the 88th minute from a header by Knut Soeren Hovet.
- Lynn outshot Tampa 19-14 but the Spartans held a wide 4-0 advantage in corner kicks.
- Alexander Roth and Jake Richards each tallied four saves apiece.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- The Fighting Knights move to 9-6-2 against Tampa under head coach John Rootes
- This is the second consecutive year the two teams have battled to a tie after a 0-0 finish in the SSC Championship finals.
- Webb improved to 3-for-3 in PK attempts this season.
- Webb also matched his goal total from a year ago.
- Bitton matched his career-high with his third goal. He has tallied three goals in each season with the Blue and White.
- Simon Kraemer made his season debut.
The Fighting Knights travel to Melbourne, Fla., to battle nationally-ranked Florida Tech on Wednesday, Oct. 18. Kick-off is set for 7 pm. Fans can watch the action live at LynnFightingKnights.com.