Lakeland, Fla. - Lynn University's 19th-ranked men's soccer team snapped a three-game winless streak by taking down Florida Southern 1-0 on Saturday night. Stefan Strohmaier netted the game-winner to secure the Fighting Knights No. 3 seed in the Sunshine State Conference Championship.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Score: Lynn 1, Florida Southern 0
Records: Lynn (10-3-1, 6-3-1 SSC); Florida Southern (7-6-0, 5-5-0 SSC)
Location: Lake Myrtle Complex | Lakeland, Fla.
All-time history: Lynn leads 21-2 all-time (last met in 2016)
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
STATS OF THE MATCH:
• Lynn held a 6-1 advantage in corner kicks, and was able to capitalize on a corner kick in the 78th minute of play when Strohmaier headed in the cross from Alun Webb for the game-winner.
• Alexander Roth tallied four saves as Lynn's defensive unit held the Moccasins to only four shot attempts on goal. The Fighting Knights were outshot 15-11 overall.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
• Three of Strohmaier's four goals have gone for game-winners, tying him with Max Herbert for the team lead.
• Strohmaier now has four goals, four assists and 12 points, second only to Webb on the team.
• Roth collected his ninth shutout of the season, surpassing his total from last year.
• Head coach John Rootes has recorded at least 10 wins in eight of his 10 years with the Blue and White.
• Lynn's nine shutouts are the most since 2012.
The Fighting Knights have earned the No. 3 seed in the Sunshine State Conference Championship and will host Florida Southern on Tuesday, Oct. 31, at 7 p.m. Fans can watch the action live on the Lynn Sports Network.