BOCA RATON, Fla. – A free-kick goal in the 100th minute by Alun Webb lifted the No. 21 Lynn University men's soccer team to victory on Tuesday night over Florida Southern under the lights of Bobby Campbell Stadium and pushed it forward to the semifinal round of the Sunshine State Conference Championship which will be played at Palm Beach Atlantic. The Blue and White will face second-seeded Tampa for a shot to go to the 2017 SSC Championship game.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Lynn 1, Florida Southern 0
Records: Lynn (11-3-1), Florida Southern (7-7-0)
Location: Bobby Campbell Stadium | Boca Raton, Florida
All-Time Series: Lynn leads, 22-2-0 (Lynn won 1-0 earlier this season)
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
STATS OF THE GAME:
- Webb's goal was the lone score of the game in the 100th minute of play, as he scored the game-winning goal with less than one minute to play in the first overtime.
- Alexander Roth posted his 10th clean sheet of the season, stopping each of the seven shots he faced in the victory.
- Officials handed out a combined seven cards in the contest, with six of them being charged to Florida Southern.
- The Mocs held a 14-12 edge in total shots, and a 7-4 advantage in shots on goal.
- Florida Southern earned six corner kicks in the contest to Lynn's three, and the Mocs had 18 fouls to the Fighting Knights' 13.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- Webb's game-winning goal was his third of the season.
- This was Lynn's second 1-0 victory over Florida Southern in the last four days.
- In each of the last four meetings between the two teams, the final score has been 1-0 with three results going in Lynn's favor.
- This is the seventh consecutive season the Fighting Knights have reached at least the semifinals of the conference tournament.
The Fighting Knights travel north to West Palm Beach for the SSC Championship Semifinals against Tampa on Friday at 4:30 p.m.