West Palm Beach, Fla. – Lynn University's men's soccer team avenged an early-season loss to Palm Beach Atlantic, upsetting the Sailfish 2-1 in the NCAA Division II Tournament Second Round on Sunday evening. Alun Webb accounted for both goals to help the Fighting Knights advance to the third round.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Score: Lynn 2, Palm Beach Atlantic 1
Records: Lynn (12-3-2), Palm Beach Atlantic (14-2-2)
Location: Rinker Athletic Complex | West Palm Beach, Fla.
All-Time History: Lynn leads 18-1-3 (lost 1-0 in last meeting, Oct. 4, 2017)
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
STATS OF THE MATCH:
- Lynn kicked off the scoring with a goal in the 23rd minute. Alun Webb set up the score with a square ball across the top of the box. Max Herbert stepped up and released a shot off Sailfish keeper Elliott Barker's hands for the goal.
- Webb tallied the eventual game-winner in the 66th minute after newly substituted Logan Klipfel split the defense with a through ball. The senior midfielder ran onto the pass and beat Barker for the breakaway attempt.
- Palm Beach Atlantic made it interesting with a goal in the 88th minute off a free kick but Lynn held position from the kick-off to seal the victory.
- The Blue and White outshot PBA 9-4, with Barker tallying four saves and Roth held without a save.
- The Fighting Knights limited PBA to only one shot on frame
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- This marks he most goals for the Fighting Knights since a 2-2 tie against Tampa on Oct. 14.
- Palm Beach Atlantic's one shot on goal tied a season-low, set at Lynn in a 1-0 victory over the Fighting Knights on Oct. 4.
- The Sailfish have gone 0-2 after taking a 10-game winning streak into the postseason.
- Webb added to his career-high goal total, netting his ninth of the season, while his 23 points is tied for a career-high.
- Klipfel made just his third appearance of the season but logged his first career assist and first game-winning assist.
Lynn will host the NCAA Division II Third Round and Quarterfinals at Bobby Campbell Stadium on Friday and Sunday, Nov. 17 & 19. The Fighting Knights battle West Alabama and Young Harris takes on Lander on Friday with the two victors playing on Sunday. Times are TBD. Fans will be able to watch the action live on the Lynn Sports Network.