Huntsville, Ala. – Lynn University's top-ranked men's soccer team scored minutes into the start of the match and followed with a late second-half goal to take down Alabama Huntsville 2-1 on Friday night. Forwards Shay Brennan and Mark Faeth tallied goals but the Fighting Knights shutout streak ended at just over 397 minutes.
INSIDE THE MATHUP:
Score: Lynn 2, Alabama Huntsville 1
Records: Lynn (2-0-0), UAH (1-2-0)
Location: Charger Park | Huntsville, Ala.
Series History: Lynn leads the series 8-0-0 all-time (Last played Sept. 3, 2017, a 4-0 victory)
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
STATS OF THE GAME:
- The Brennan connection was strong in this match as Shay Brennan was set up by Daniel Brenan in the 10th minute of play to put Lynn ahead 1-0.
- Newcomer Mark Faeth tallied his second game-winning goal in as many matches, finding the back of the net in the 78th minute on a shot from 20-yards out.
- Robeto Bazzichetto tallied three saves compared to his counterpart, Myles Fullen, who tabulated six stops.
- Lynn outshot UAH 13-9 and held a whopping 11-4 advantage in corner kicks.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- Faeth has scored game-winners in each of the first two matches, the first since Jack Watson in 2016 to match that feat.
- The goal allowed in the 79th minute was the first allowed by the Blue and White since the 81st minute of the NCAA Division II National Quarterfinals against Young Harris.
- Lynn has reached the top-ranking for the first time since September 2015.
The Fighting Knights are back on the pitch Sunday, Sept. 9 at 3:30 p.m. when they square-off against West Alabama. Fans can keep up with the action live at LynnFightingKnights.com.