BOCA RATON, Fla. – Despite holding every statistical advantage, Lynn University's men's soccer team dropped its Sunshine State Conference season-opener to Florida Southern 2-1 in overtime on Saturday night. Tomer Bitton scored the game-tying goal late in the second half for the Fighting Knights.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Score: Florida Southern 2, Lynn 1 (OT)
Records: Florida Southern (5-0-0, 1-0-0 SSC); Lynn (2-2-0, 0-1-0 SSC)
Location: Bobby Campbell Stadium | Boca Raton, Fla.
Series History: Lynn leads 22-3 all-time (Last played in 2017)
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
STATS OF THE GAME:
- Florida Southern capitalized on two Blue and White defensive miscues in the game. Christoph Gums scored the first goal after Lynn failed on two clearance attempts while James Meehan ended the match after the Fighting Knights had an errant pass intercepted.
- Despite trailing, Lynn applied pressure throughout the match and found the back of the net in the 76th minute. Tomer Bitton converted on a headed pass by Daniel Brenan from a Max Herbert corner kick for the equalizer.
- The Fighting Knights outshot the Moccasins 14-6 and held a 6-3 advantage in corner kicks.
- FSC's Benny Yusufoglu tallied five saves while Roberto Bazzichetto was held without a save.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- Lynn's goal against Florida Southern was the first goal allowed by the Mocs all season long.
- This is the first loss against FSC since 2015.
- The last five matches have been decided by one goal (Lynn outscored FSC 4-2).
- Bitton scored his 11th career goal and has found the back of the net in each of his four seasons with Lynn.
- Brenan came into the season with no goals, assists or points and has one goal and team-high three assists through four matches.
- Lynn last lost a SSC opener in 2015 (3-1 to Saint Leo) and is now 17-2-2 all-time in league openers.
The Fighting Knights are back in action on Monday, Sept. 17, when the team travels to Miami Gardens, Fla., to battle Florida Memorial. For more information, check out LynnFightingKnights.com.