Winter Park, Fla. – Lynn University's men's soccer team scored just before the half to break a scoreless tie and never let its foot off the gas, topping Rollins 5-0 on Wednesday night. This was the largest margin of victory in the series history and pushed the Fighting Knights winning streak to three matches.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Score: Lynn 5, Rollins 0
Records: Lynn (5-2-0, 2-1-0 SSC), Rollins (6-3-0, 0-3-0 SSC)
Location: Barker Family Stadium | Winter Park, Fla.
Series History: Lynn leads 24-8-2 all-time (Won 1-0 in 2017)
STATS OF THE GAME:
- A 0-0 stalemate was broken with 52 seconds remaining in the opening half as Martin Drobits set up the eventual game-winner to Nils Borner.
- Lynn came out on fire in the second half, scoring two goals in the first five minutes and then another 13 minutes later.
- Will Coutts beat four defenders and found the back of the net with a shot across his body in the 49th minute.
- Moments later Shay Brennan beat Tars keeper Abdiel Martinez off an assist from Niklas Tasky.
- In the 58th minute, it was Lukas Hombach's turn as he drilled home the fourth goal from a setup by Coutts.
- Lynn's final came via Bruno Sanitz in the 87th minutes.
- Lynn outshot Rollins 12-6 while the Tars held the edge in corner kicks 5-4.
- Roberto Bazzichetto notched one save while Martinez turned away two shots.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- This is the third consecutive victory over Rollins.
- Lynn's five goals tied for the most goals ever scored against Tars (W 5-3 in 2016)
- This is the largest margin of victory in the series history (previously Lynn won 4-0 in 1988)
- Jack Watson made his season debut after missing nearly all of 2017 with an injury. His assist gave him 53 points in 23 games played.
- Brennan now leads the team with three goals and seven points while Coutts is tied with Daniel Brenan for the team-lead with three assists.
- Borner netted his second game-winning goal in as many matches.
- Hombach scored his first goal of the season while Martin Drobits notched his first assist.
- Lynn has not allowed a goal in 270 minutes.
- The Blue and White's five goals are more than its previous four games combined.
Lynn is back on the pitch when it hosts Eckerd on Saturday, Sept. 29, at 6 p.m. Fans can watch the match live at LynnFightingKnights.com.