Tampa, Fla. – For the second time in the past week, it was senior striker Jack Watson that put the nail in the coffin during overtime as Lynn University's men's soccer squad picked up a 3-2 Sunshine State Conference victory at the University of Tampa on Saturday night.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Score: Lynn 3, Tampa 2 (OT)
Records: Lynn (9-3, 6-2 SSC), Tampa (2-7-3, 2-6 SSC)
Location: Pepin Stadium | Tampa, Fla.
All-time Series: Lynn leads 24-15-5
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
STATS OF THE GAME:
- The Spartans took a 1-0 lead into halftime off a Marcel Salokat goal in the 31st minute.
- Lynn didn't get on the scoreboard until late in the match, but the Fighting Knights took the lead behind back-to-back goals in the 74th and 76th minutes. Mark Faeth scored the first off a Watson assist, with Watson scoring the next off a Faeth assist.
- The lead didn't last long as Tampa's Salokat scored his second of the night and evened the match at 2-2 in the 79th minute.
- Nearly five minutes into the first overtime period, the Lynn midfield sent a ball over the Tampa back line as Watson ran on, evaded the keeper in a 1-v-1 situation and hit the empty net for the game winner.
- Watson tallied six shots total, with four on goal. Max Herbert logged four shots with two on goal.
- Lynn goalie Roberto Bazzichetto picked up his eighth win of the year in between the pipes, as the keeper made two saves in the full 95 minutes.
- Lynn held advantages in shots (15-8) and corner kicks (6-4).
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- The Fighting Knights are 6-0 on the road this season. The Spartans fall to 0-5-1 at home.
- With just six games played this season after returning from injury, Watson already leads the team with 10 points and is tied for the team-lead with four goals.
- Since his season debut on Sept. 26, Watson has four goals and two assists six games, including three game-winning goals. The senior forward has notched 26 goals in his Blue and White career, with 15 coming as game-winners.
- Last season, Lynn and Tampa tied in two-of-two matchups. In 2016, Tampa eliminated Lynn from the NCAA Tournament, but the Fighting Knights bested the Spartans in the SSC Tournament final a game before.
Lynn will host its final home match of the regular season this Wednesday, Oct. 17, when the Fighting Knights welcome in Florida Tech on Senior Night.