BOCA RATON, Fla. – In a must-win match for Lynn University's men's soccer team, two seniors came up huge while it was newcomer Lukas Hombach that brought the squad the 2-1 victory over 15th-ranked Florida Tech. Hombach netted the game-winner while Tomer Bitton added a goal and Max Herbert logged two assists.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Score: Lynn 2, #15 Florida Tech 1
Records: Lynn (10-3, 7-2 SSC), Florida Tech (9-3, 5-3 SSC)
Location: Bobby Campbell Stadium | Boca Raton, Fla.
All-time Series: Lynn leads 28-5-0 all-time (Lost 2-1 in 2017)
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
STATS OF THE GAME:
- Bitton opened the scoring in the 19th minute when he headed in a free kick from Herbert.
- Florida Tech scored the equalizer midway in the second half after Hugo Lopez's cross from the right side was met by Luca Campanini for the goal.
- The Fighting Knights grabbed the lead for good in the 79th minute following another Herbert assist, this time on a corner kick. Hombach zeroed in on the score inside the six-yard box.
- Lynn outshot Florida Tech 12-9 overall and 3-2 on frame.
- The two teams were equal with two corner kicks apiece.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- Lynn honored its 10 seniors prior to the match: Bitton, Lukas Boerner, Daniel Brenan, Herbert, Elliott Legg, Ilias Papadopoulos, Stian Sanner, Niklas Tasky, Jack Watson and Rodrigo Zonta.
- Bitton logged his third goal of the season and 13th of his career.
- Lynn is 2-2 against nationally-ranked opponents this year but this is its first victory at home.
- This is the third consecutive year Lynn has reached 10 victories and the 31st in the program's 33-year history.
- The first NCAA Regional Rankings were unveiled today with Lynn sitting sixth. Palm Beach Atlantic leads the region followed by Florida Tech, Nova Southeastern, Barry and Florida Southern.
- Lynn now has victories over the first and second-ranked teams in the region, losses to the fourth and fifth and will play the third-ranked team in the season-finale.
- Four teams advance to the NCAA Tournament with the winners of the Sunshine State and Gulf South Conference Tournaments earning automatic bids.
The Fighting Knights close out the regular season on Tuesday, Oct. 23, when they travel to Ft. Lauderdale, Fla., to battle nationally-ranked Nova Southeastern. Fans can watch the match live at LynnFightingKnights.com.