BOCA RATON, Fla. – An upper 90s strike by Ilias Papadapoulos in the 83rd minute proved to be the game-winner as Lynn University's men's soccer team took down Florida Southern 3-1 in the Sunshine State Conference Championship Quarterfinals on Monday night. Papadapoulos' goal was the first game-winner of his career while Jack Watson netted two goals for the Fighting Knights. Lynn now takes on Barry in the SSC Semifinals.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Score: Lynn 3, Florida Southern 1
Records: Lynn (11-3-1); Florida Southern (12-5-0)
Location: Bobby Campbell Stadium | Boca Raton, Fla.
Series History: Lynn leads 23-3 all-time (Lost 2-1 in OT on Sept. 15)
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
STATS OF THE GAME:
- Watson put Lynn ahead 1-0 in the 21st minute. Papadopoulos ripped a shot which was saved by FSC's Samuel Winning and Watson headed in the loose ball.
- Florida Southern countered with a goal in the 32nd minute when Christoph Gums found Julian Jordan-Canosa alone inside the area for the equalizer.
- Lynn locked down its defense in the second half and turned on its offense as it outshot the Moccasins 9-1 in the second half. Overall the Blue and White outshot FSC 15-4.
- Papadopoulos scored the game-winner with just over five minutes to play. Max Herbert found his senior defender on a short corner and after one touch, the Hannover, Germany, product ripped a shot to the top right corner for the winner.
- Florida Southern pushed forward for one last ditch attempt to send the match into overtime but Lynn was able to play out of the Mocs corner. Tomer Bitton pinged a ball to Herbert, who centered his pass to Watson inside the six-yard box to seal the match.
- Lynn held an 8-0 advantage in corner kicks.
- Winning made five saves while Bazzichetto turned away one shot.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- Lynn will be making its eighth consecutive appearance in the SSC Championship semifinals.
- Watson has six goals in the last seven matches.
- Papadopoulos's goal was the second of his career but the first game-winner.
- FSC started the season 9-0 but ended 3-5.
- The Fighting Knights have gone 9-1-1 since their loss to Florida Southern on Oct. 15.
- Lynn battles Barry for the second time this year. The Fighting Knights previously fell 2-0 to the Buccaneers on Oct. 10.
- This is Herbert's second multi-assist game in the last three matches. His team-leading eight assists is also tied for second in the SSC.
- Watson's 14 points in nine matches put's him fifth in points per game in the SSC (1.56).
Lynn battles longtime rival Barry on Thursday, Nov. 1, at 4:30 p.m. in Miami Shores, Fla. Fans can watch the action live on the Lynn Sports Network.