West Palm Beach, Fla. - Lynn University's men's soccer team rallied from a one-goal deficit to knock off No. 2 ranked Palm Beach Atlantic 5-4 in penalty kicks in the second round of the NCAA Tournament on Saturday night. Jack Watson scored the game-tying goal in regulation but Mark Faeth advanced the Fighting Knights with the final PK. Lynn will now face Barry in the NCAA South Region Championship.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Score: Lynn 1, Palm Beach Atlantic 1 (Lynn advances 5-4 in PKs)
Records: Lynn (11-5-2), PBA (19-1-2)
Location: Rinker Athletic Complex | West Palm Beach, Fla.
Series History: Lynn leads 19-1-4 all-time (Won 1-0 on Oct. 3)
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
STATS OF THE GAME:
- Heading into penalty kicks tied 1-1, each team connected on its first three PKs to go into the fourth round tied 3-3.
- Roberto Bazzichetto turned away Callum Chapman-Page's attempt in the fourth round and Daniel Brenan nailed his shot to put Lynn ahead 4-3.
- A goal from Alex Stoiljkovic followed by a save by Patrick Seuffert on Lynn's fifth attempt brought new hope to the Sailfish but Guillermo Deal hit the post in the sixth round for PBA.
- Faeth stepped over the ball and drilled his shot past Seuffert to send Lynn to the NCAA South Region Finals.
- Lynn trailed 1-0 heading into the locker room after Stoiljkovic was awarded a penalty kick just two and a half minutes before the half.
- The lead would not last long as Watson scored his team-leading seventh goal in the 50th minute, finding the back of the net on a one-v-one with Seuffert.
- Bazzichetto turned away two shots in the match while Seuffert and Elliott Barker combined for two saves for the Sailfish.
- PBA levied 15 shots compared to 10 by the Fighting Knights while Lynn held a 6-3 advantage in corner kicks.
- The two teams combined for 37 fouls, including six cards.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- Lynn's last three NCAA Tournament matches have ended in PKs: Lynn def. Rockhurst 3-0 in the 2017 national semifinals; Lynn lost to Charleston 2-1 in the 2017 national championship; Lynn def. PBA 5-4 in the 2018 second round.
- Lynn entered the match 1-4 when surrendering the first goal.
- The previous come-from-behind victory was also led by Watson and Faeth; 3-2 over Tampa
- Lynn knocked off PBA last year in the NCAA Tournament second round after the Sailfish won the SSC title.
- The Blue and White have faced four nationally-ranked teams in their last five matches, five in their last seven and six of their last eight games, going 2-2-2 overall against ranked teams.
- Lynn remains the only school to win the trifecta of trophies in a season in Sunshine State Conference history; SSC regular season, SSC Championship and the NCAA National Championship. The Fighting Knights accomplished it in 2003 and 2014.
Lynn will take on Barry in the NCAA South Region Championship. Date, time and location will be determined based on results from the Southeast Region. For more information, check back to LynnFightingKnights.com.