Young Harris, Ga. – It was a bittersweet ending for the 2018 Lynn University men's soccer season as the Fighting Knights played shutout soccer for 110 minutes but fell 4-2 in penalty kicks to Barry in the NCAA Division II South Region Championship. This marks the fourth consecutive PK match in the NCAA Tournament for the Blue and White.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Score: #20 Barry 0, #24 Lynn 0 (Barry advances 4-2 in PKs)
Records: Barry (14-4-2); Lynn (11-4-3)
Location: YHC Soccer and Lacrosse | Young Harris, Ga.
Series History: Lynn leads 24-12-6 (went 0-2-1 against Barry in 2018)
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
STATS OF THE MATCH:
- The two teams were equal with 15 shots apiece with Roberto Bazzichetto making eight saves and Barry's Marco Sordi turning away five shots.
- Lynn held an overwhelming 10-1 advantage in corner kicks.
- In penalty kicks, both Lynn and Barry converted on the first attempts. The Bucs grabbed a 2-1 lead following a Lynn miss and Bazzichetto gave his team a chance with a save on Lorenzo Cerrai's attempt.
- Sordi stopped Lynn's third attempt and Barry connected on its final two shots to secure the win.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- Lynn's last four NCAA Tournament matches have gone to PKs. The Fighting Knights most recently defeated PBA in the NCAA second round 5-4, lost to Charleston in the 2017 NCAA DII National Championship 2-1 and beat Rockhurst in the 2017 NCAA DII National Semifinals 3-0.
- The shutout was the eighth of the season for the Fighting Knights and sixth for Bazzichetto.
- Three of the four matches Lynn was shutout came against Barry.
- Bazzichetto tied a career-high with his eight saves. His previous best of eight was set in a double-overtime match at Nova Southeastern on Oct. 23.
- The Blue and White surrendered just 15 goals in 18 matches.
- Lynn has recorded at least eight shutouts in six of head coach John Rootes' 11 years. This is also the third consecutive season with at least eighth shutouts, the longest stretch for Lynn under Rootes.
- The Blue and White's three ties gives them four consecutive seasons with multiple ties, the longest such stretch in program history.
- Lynn has reached the NCAA Tournament eight times under head coach John Rootes and 17 times overall. The Fighting Knights have 27 total postseason appearances including NAIA.
Lynn ends the season 11-4-3 overall. The Blue and White are slated to return 20 letterwinners, including six starters.