BOCA RATON, Fla. – Offense was a priority this offseason for Lynn University's 12th-ranked men's soccer team and the results were impressive in a season-opening 6-1 victory over Florida Memorial on Thursday night. Newcomer Alexandre Horveno netted three assists while fellow newbie Levin Sandmann added a goal and an assist.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Score: Lynn 6, Florida Memorial 1
Records: Lynn (1-0-0), Florida Memorial (0-2-0)
Location: Bobby Campbell Stadium | Boca Raton, Fla.
Series History: Lynn leads 3-1 all-time (last played in 2018)
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Patience is the name of the game and the Blue and White had plenty of it as Florida Memorial used the first nine minutes and change to sit back and let the Fighting Knights come to them. Lynn's patience paid off in the 10th minute when Horveno notched the first of his three assists on a goal to Lukas Ostermann off a cross from the left corner.
- Four minutes later it was Lukas Hombach's turn to find the back of the net, courtesy of Horveno. Hombach and Horveno played give and go on the outside and the left back paid it forward with a wonderful cross. Hombach one-timed his attempt to the left side netting for the 2-0 advantage.
- Logan Klipfel gave Lynn a 3-0 lead in the 37th minute when he headed in Horveno's corner kick past Angel Garcia.
- Sam Holland closed off the Fighting Knights' scoring in the 41st minute. Lynn was award a penalty kick following a hand ball in the area and the junior midfield buried the PK attempt.
- Lynn's joy was short-lived as a defensive gaffe turned the ball over near the top of the box and Calem Acosta beat Konstantin Fuhry with a shot to the upper right corner.
- Horveno missed on the fourth assist in the 59th minute as his corner kick ricocheted off a defender. Sandmann let loose a torrid shot off the loose ball for his first goal with the Blue and White.
- He then dished out an assist for Shay Brennan in the 68th minute.
- Lynn outshot Florida Memorial 33-5 with Garcia turning away 13 shots. Fuhry and Carolins Molina each logged two saves apiece.
- The Fighting Knights also held an 8-2 advantage in corner kicks.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- Lynn's six goals was the most since the 2018 season-opening victory over Christian Brothers (7-0).
- Horveno is the first Fighting Knight to tally three assists in a season-opener since Gabe Taboada in 2008.
- Six different Fighting Knights found the back of the net, marking the first time since 2016 that has occurred.
- Both Sam Holland and Logan Klipfel logged their first career goals.
- Horveno was tied for third in the nation last season with 16 assists.
- Ostermann was second in the nation with 23 goals in 2018.
Lynn hosts Davenport on Sunday, Sep. 8, at 10 a.m. at Bobby Campbell Stadium. Fans can keep up with the action live at LynnFightingKnights.com.