BOCA RATON, Fla. – He entered the game without ever scoring a goal but by the end of the match Rodrigo Fernandez had found the back of the net three times to lead Lynn University's 12th-ranked men's soccer team past Davenport 3-2 in overtime.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Score: Lynn 3, Davenport 2 (OT
Records: Lynn (2-0-0), Davenport (0-2-0)
Location: Bobby Campbell Stadium | Boca Raton, Fla.
Series History: First ever meeting
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
STATS OF THE GAME:
- Fernandez had scored twice on his own prior to OT but needed the help of Lukas Hombach to secure the hat trick. Hombach put a perfectly placed free kick into the six-yard box and the senior defender was able to get his head on the ball for the game-winner in the 94th minute.
- Fearing a scoreless first half, Fernandez put Lynn on the board first minutes before the break when he ripped a kick from the right wing just inside the right post.
- Evan Marques evened the match 48 seconds into the second half when he took a pass from Matt Whelan at the top of the box and slotted his shot to the lower right.
- Fernandez netted his second of the afternoon in the 55th minute as his free kick from nearly 30 yards out bounced past keeper Markus Sundin.
- Davenport would score the equalizing goal in the 73rd from Whelan.
- Lynn outshot the Panthers 14-5 in total and held an 8-0 advantage in corner kicks.
- Sundin turned away three shots for Davenport.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- This is the eighth consecutive year Lynn has started the season 2-0.
- Fernandez is the first player to score three goals in a match for Lynn since Alun Webb, who did it against Alabama Huntsville on Sep. 3, 2017.
- There has been seven different goal scorers for the Blue and White this season.
The Fighting Knights are back in action on Friday, Sep. 13, when they take on Alabama Huntsville at 6 p.m. at Bobby Campbell Stadium. Fans can watch the action live at LynnFightingKnights.com.