St. Petersburg, Fla. – A goal by Rodrigo Fernandez in the 66th minute snapped a 1-1 tie and gave Lynn University's 10th-ranked men's soccer team a 2-1 victory over Eckerd on Saturday night. Fernandez had not scored a goal prior to this season but has netted four in 2019, including two game-winners.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Score: Lynn 2, Eckerd 1
Records: Lynn (4-0-0, 1-0-0 SSC), Eckerd (4-2-0, 0-1-0 SSC)
Location: Johnson Athletic Field | St. Petersburg, Fla.
Series History: Lynn leads 30-2-1 all-time (won 1-0 in 2018)
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The first goal came early in the match with Lukas Ostermann finding the back of the net in the 16th minute. The towering forward took a pass from Joao Delgado and was decisive in his finish to put the Blue and White ahead 1-0.
- Eckerd scored the equalizer in the 66th minute when it was issued a penalty kick. Agustin Pertusso scored to knot the match 1-1.
- As he has done all season, Lukas Hombach set up the eventual game-winner, whipping a free kick into the box. Lukas Radulovic got a head on the ball to the left post and Fernandez was there to tap in the winner in the 69th minute.
- Lynn held a 10-6 advantage in shots with Konstantin Fuhry turning away two shots and Eckerd's Lynden Dawson making two saves. Dawson replaced starter David Ormiston in the 36th minute.
- The teams were even with four corner kicks apiece.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- The last four matches, and 10 of the last 19, between Lynn and Eckerd have been decided by a goal or less.
- The Fighting Knights are unbeaten in their last 15 games against the Tritons (13-0-2)
- Fernandez leads the team with four goals, two of which have gone as game-winners, and eight points.
- Ostermann collects his second goal in three matches played this year.
- Delgado earns his first and assist as a member of the Blue and White.
Lynn is back in action on Wednesday, Sept. 25, when it hosts Nova Southeastern at 6 p.m. Fans can watch the action live on the Lynn Sports Network.