Miami Shores, Fla. - After allowing two goals within the first 15 minutes of the match, Lynn University's eighth-ranked men's soccer team dug deep and scored three unanswered goals to top longtime rival Barry University 3-2 on Wednesday night.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Score: #8 Lynn 3, Barry 2
Records: Lynn (7-0-1, 4-0-1 SSC); Barry (3-7-0, 1-3-0 SSC)
Location: Buccaneer Field | Miami Shores, Fla.
Series History: Lynn leads 25-12-6 (went 0-2-1 against Barry in 2018)
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
STATS OF THE GAME:
- Barry needed only 2:36 to take a 1-0 lead after Andreas Volk beat Konstantin Fuhry for the goal.
- The Buccaneers grabbed a 2-0 advantage in the 15th minute of play off a goal from Lorenzo Cerrai.
- Reigning Sunshine State Conference Offensive Player of the Week Lukas Hombach cut Lynn's deficit in half with a goal in the 24th minute of action.
- Levin Sandmann then knotted the match at 2-2 just four minutes into the second half off an assist by Julian Kersting.
- Lukas Börner provided the game-winner in the 63rd minute, courtesy of a Martin Drobits pass.
- Lynn outshot Barry 20-6 and held a 6-3 advantage in corner kicks.
- Buccaneers netminder Mirko Ronchi turned away 11 shots with Fuhry making one save.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- Lynn scored for the first time against Barry since Oct. 11, 2017, a 1-0 victory. Last season the Blue and White went 0-2-1 against the Buccaneers, getting outscored 4-0 in the three matches.
- The victory is the 25th against Barry, tying for the fourth-most wins (Rollins) against a single opponent in program history.
- Lynn's 43 matches versus the Bucs are tied for the most against single opponent (Nova Southeastern).
- Fuhry's shutout streak ended just at just over 316 minutes.
- Boerner scored the second goal of his career and first since Sep. 10, 2017.
- Hombach's fourth goal is a new career-high.
- Horveno logged his first assist since the season-opener.
- Kirsting set a new career-high in assists and points in a season, collecting his second assist and point.
- Drobit's assist is his first of the season and third of his career.
Lynn travels to Morrow, Ga., for a non-conference matchup against Clayton State on Saturday, Oct. 12. Kick-off is set for 3:30 p.m. Fans can watch the action live at LynnFightingKnights.com.