Tampa, Fla. – Two singles victories and a dominate doubles showing from Daniel Riggs and Jean-Baptiste Mateo helped lift the ninth-ranked and third-seeded Lynn University men's tennis team to a 5-0 sweep over 47th-ranked and sixth-seeded Florida Tech in the opening round of the Sunshine State Conference Tournament on Thursday.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Lynn 5, Florida Tech 4
Records: #9 Lynn (15-6), #47 Florida Tech (12-11)
Location: HCC Tennis Center | Tampa, Fla.
All-time Series: Lynn leads 22-2
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Fighting Knights battled out an 8-6 win at the top doubles flight to secure all three tandem matchups.
- Playing at No. 2, Riggs and Mateo got the momentum rolling with an 8-0 triumph.
- Mehdi Laalej and Jose Porfirio Ordonez followed up with an 8-3 win at No. 3 before Pavel Mojha and Ethan Itzkovitz outlasted at the top spot.
- Mateo carried his strong play into singles action, blowing past Majed Alshaikh at the fourth flight (6-1, 6-1) to put the Blue & White up 4-0.
- After a close first set, Riggs closed out the Lynn victory at the top singles spot (7-5, 6-1).
- Itzkovitz was nearing in on victory at No. 5 while Laalej was up a set at No. 2.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- During the regular season, Lynn's 5-1 victory over Florida Tech gave head coach Mike Perez his 1,000th career win.
Lynn returns to the courts tomorrow afternoon, April 29 at 2 p.m. to take on Barry University in the SSC semifinals.