BOCA RATON, Fla. – Lynn University's eighth-ranked men's tennis team won its 11th consecutive match following an 8-1 victory over 23rd-ranked St. Mary's on Saturday. Jean-Baptiste Mateo won in straight sets to stay unbeaten in singles while Mehdi Laalej earned his 11th win at the top singles spot.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Lynn 8, St. Mary's 1
Records: #8 Lynn (13-2), #23 St. Mary's (7-9)
Location: Perper Tennis Complex | Boca Raton, Fla.
All-time Series: First meeting between the two teams
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Lynn made quick work in doubles play with all three tandems earning easy wins. Laalej and Jakub Jiricka dispatched their opponents at the top spot, 8-4, Kay Bartmann and Jose Porfirio Ordonez won 8-2 at No. 2 while Mateo and Tristan Houle earned an 8-2 win at the final doubles position.
- Laalej and Mateo clinched the victory for the Fighting Knights at the Nos. 1 & 2 singles positions. Laalej topped Jeremiah Gonzalez 6-2, 6-0 while Mateo won 6-0, 6-2 over Jose Antelo.
- Porfirio was able to win 6-0, 7-5 at No. 5 singles while Jiricka and Bartmann each needed a third set to claim wins.
- Bartmann won 3-6, 6-1, 13-11 against Adam Dockery at No. 3 and Jiricka 7-6, 1-6, 10-8 over Felix Hollaway at No. 6.
- Lynn's lone loss came at No. 4 singles where St. Mary's won 6-2, 6-2.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- Mateo improved to 15-0 overall on the year.
- Laalej is 12-1 overall and 11-1 at No. 1 singles.
- Lynn's last loss came on Feb. 17 against No. 6 Columbus State.
- This is the ninth nationally-ranked opponent Lynn has faced with the team going 7-2 in those matches.
The Fighting Knights are back on the courts on Sunday, March 26, at 10 a.m. when they host UC San Diego. Fans can keep up with the match live at LynnFightingKnights.com.