Saint Leo, Fla. – Lynn University's eighth-ranked men's tennis team wrapped up the 2017 regular season on Friday with a Sunshine State Conference tilt at Saint Leo University. Following a 4-4 tie, the third-ranked Lions clinched the deciding point at No. 6 singles to down the Fighting Knights.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Saint Leo 5, Lynn 4
Records: #3 Saint Leo (11-3, 6-1 SSC), #8 Lynn (17-4, 5-2 SSC)
Location: Saint Leo Tennis Center | Saint Leo, Fla.
All-time Series: Lynn leads 29-4
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
- The sides started off by splitting the second and third doubles flights, with Jose Porfirio Ordonez and Kay Bartmann picking up the 9-7 victory at No. 2.
- The top doubles match went to a tiebreaker with the Lions securing a valuable point with a 9-8 (7-5) win.
- Lynn got off to a hot start in singles action, taking straight-set wins at the two and four slots to grab a 3-2 lead in the match.
- Fifth-ranked Jean-Baptiste Mateo downed 45th-ranked Vincent Suillerot at No. 2 (6-3, 6-4) with Tristan Houle winning at the fourth flight by the same score.
- In a top-15 battle at No. 1 singles, the Lions evened the match at 3-3. No. 14 Thomas Grinberg bested No. 6 Mehdi Laalej, 6-4, 6-4.
- Saint Leo got back in front with a three-set win at No. 3 but Porfirio Ordonez knotted it back up with a 6-1, 6-2 triumph at No. 5.
- The Lions clinched the match at six singles in straight sets.
- Lynn has played the second and third ranked teams in the country in its last two matches.
- Mateo finishes the regular season with a perfect 21-0 record in singles play.
- The Lions defeated Lynn in last year's SSC Championship match and would eventually be national runners-up.
The Fighting Knights will be the No. 3 seed in next week's SSC Tournament, beginning on Thursday, April 20 at IMG Academy in Bradenton, Fla.