Bradenton, Fla. – A doubles sweep and two straight-set singles wins from the top two positions was all the eighth-ranked and third-seeded Lynn University men's tennis team needed on Thursday to take down 49th-ranked and sixth-seeded Palm Beach Atlantic in the Sunshine State Conference Tournament Quarterfinals, 5-0.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Lynn 5, PBA 0
Records: #8 Lynn (18-4), #49 PBA (12-9)
Location: IMG Academy | Bradenton, Fla.
All-time Series: Lynn leads 16-0
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- No. 3 doubles started off the scoring for Lynn as Tristan Houle and Jean-Baptiste Mateo posted an 8-2 victory.
- Jose Porfirio Ordonez and Kay Bartmann followed up with an 8-3 triumph at No. 2 doubles.
- Mehdi Laalej and Florian Clemares, the newly fourth-ranked pair in the South Region, battled with regionally 10th-ranked Rafael Lenz and Bernardo Ferreira at the top flight, grinding out an 8-6 victory to give the Blue and White a 3-0 edge heading into singles play.
- The Fighting Knights needed just two strong performances from their top-two solo players to clinch the match.
- Both Laalej at No. 1 singles and Mateo at No. 2 produced identical 6-3, 6-2 wins to advance their squad to the semifinals.
- Bartmann, Porfirio Ordonez and Houle at the three, four and five singles spots were all up a set before the match was called.
- Mateo remains undefeated in singles play this year, improving to 22-0. He is the first Fighting Knight with 22 wins in a season since Dennis Riegraf went 22-2 in 2007.
- Lynn finds Saint Leo tomorrow in the semifinals. The Lions took the SSC title match over the Fighting Knights last season.
- Lynn and Saint Leo will meet for the second time in seven days as the teams faced off in the regular-season finale.
Lynn returns to the courts tomorrow morning, Friday, April 21 at 10 a.m. for a semifinal matchup against second-seeded, third-ranked and defending SSC Tournament Champions, Saint Leo.