Valdosta, Ga. – Jose Porfirio Ordonez and Florian Clemares of Lynn University's men's tennis team claimed doubles runner-up honors on Sunday to conclude the Fighting Knights run at the 2017 ITA South Region Championships.
INSIDE THE TOURNAMENT:
Event: ITA 2017 South Region Championships, presented by Oracle
Host: Valdosta State University
Location: McKey Park / VSU Tennis Courts | Valdosta, Ga.
Tournament Dates: Sept. 22-25
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
- Fifth-seeded Kay Bartmann opened up the singles action with a 6-0, 3-6, 10-7 victory over former Fighting Knight and current VSU Blazer, Fernando Rivas.
- Porfirio Ordonez suffered a straight-set defeat at the hands of Mississippi College's Joan Valy.
- UWF's Alfonso Castellano ended Lynn's run in the singles draw, taking down Bartmann in the Round of 16, 6-3, 6-2.
- After dropping his opening singles match on Friday, Clemares made a run through the consolation draw, posting a three-set win over Daniel Ferl before taking down eighth-seeded Florian Simbozel in straight sets (6-3, 6-0).
- Bartmann and Tristan Houle had their doubles tenure come to an end with an 8-2 setback to the No. 4 seed out of Barry.
- Second-seeded Clemares and Porfirio Ordonez tackled a Saint Leo tandem in the Round of 16, 8-4.
- Clemares and Porfirio Ordonez posted another 8-4 triumph, defeating South Florida rival Barry in the Elite 8.
- The Lynn duo had its closest battle, coming out ahead of AUM's Destefanis/Straker-Meads, 8-5.
- Clemares and Porfirio Ordonez fell to Embry-Riddle's Rodolfo Arreygue and Andres Donayre in the championship match, 6-3, 6-4.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- Daniel Riggs and Paolo Volpicelli were the last Fighting Knights to reach the South Region doubles final, winning the crown in 2015.
The Fighting Knights return to action next weekend at the Palm Beach Atlantic Invitational.