Winter Park, Fla. – Tristan Houle and Jose Porfirio Ordonez of the Lynn University men's tennis team each won their respective singles brackets on Saturday to lead the Fighting Knights' squad on the second day of the C.L. Varner Memorial Invitational.
INSIDE THE TOURNAMENT:
Event: 2017 C.L. Varner Memorial Invitational
Host: Rollins College
Location: Bert Martin Tennis Complex / Tiedtke Tennis Courts | Winter Park, Fla.
Tournament Dates: Oct. 20-21
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
Doubles Flight A
- After bowing out in the quarterfinals Friday, Houle and Florian Clemares saw their doubles action come to a close for the weekend.
Singles Flight A
- Clemares fell in the semifinals to Nicolo DeFraia of Rollins, 6-4, 6-1.
Singles Flight B
- Houle captured the title in the B Flight without dropping a set throughout the tournament. He first toppled Atakan Gezer (RC) in the semifinals, 6-4, 6-4, and then defeated Saint Leo's Bruno Babic in the championship match by an identical tally.
Singles Flight C
- Porfirio Ordonez had two tough battles on Saturday to secure his title, losing the first set but rebounding in both of his matches. He defeated Rollins' Daniel Ferl in the semis (2-6, 7-5 (10-8)) and then bested Saint Leo's Aurel Ciocanu in the final in dramatic fashion, 1-6, 6-4, 12-10.
- Paulo Santos Costa fell in straight sets in the back draw.
Singles Flight D
- Ljungstrom first had a bye in the back draw before winning the fifth-place match over Eckerd's Alasdair Knox (6-3, 6-4).
Singles Flight E
- Schoolcraft came out on the wrong side of a three-set battle with Rollins' Salvador Bolanos (6-3, 5-7 (10-6)).
The squad will start preparing for their 2018 spring season.