BOCA RATON, Fla. – Lynn University's sixth-ranked men's tennis team maintained its unblemished start to the 2018 season on Wednesday evening, but had a close call with NAIA's No. 3-ranked Keiser University as the Fighting Knights pulled out a 5-4 nonconference victory.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Lynn 5, Keiser 4
Records: #6 Lynn (3-0), #3 Keiser (2-1)
Location: Perper Tennis Complex| Boca Raton, Fla.
All-time Series: Lynn leads 1-0 (11-0 vs. Northwood (Fla.))
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Lynn secured the top two doubles flights to build an early advantage.
- Jean-Baptiste Mateo and Florian Clemares bounced back from their previous setback last match with an 8-2 victory at the top flight.
- Kay Bartmann and Jose Porfirio Ordonez then followed up with a win at No. 2, 8-3.
- The Seahawks snagged their first point of the day at the No. 3 spot, 8-4.
- Mateo and Clemares came out hot in singles action as both rolled through their opponents at the second and third flights, respectively, 6-0, 6-1.
- Keiser stayed alive in the match with a win from fifth-ranked Vicente Lagos at the top position (7-6, 6-0).
- Gabriel Hocevar then sealed the deal with Lynn's fifth and final point at No. 5 singles, 6-2, 6-0.
- The Seahawks would take the No. 4 and No. 6 singles matches in straight sets to close out the night.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- It was the first-ever matchup between Lynn and Keiser, following last season's rain cancellation. The two schools had met 11 times when Keiser was Northwood (Fla.).
- Keiser is ranked No. 3 in the NAIA National Coaches Poll.
Lynn hits the road for the first time this season coming up this weekend with a trip to Valdosta, Ga. for a pair of South Region matches.