Valdosta, Ga. – Lynn University's sixth-ranked men's tennis team had a tall task on Saturday for its first road match of the season, but the Fighting Knights secured a big early-season victory by knocking off fourth-ranked Valdosta St., 5-4.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Lynn 5, Valdosta St. 4
Records: #6 Lynn (4-0), #4 Valdosta St. (1-1)
Location: VSU Tennis Courts | Valdosta, Ga.
All-Time Series: Lynn leads 9-8
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Blazers took the top doubles flight, 8-2, but the Fighting Knights countered to grab a 2-1 lead heading into singles.
- Kay Bartmann and Jose Porfirio Ordonez won at No. 2 doubles over the 15th-ranked team in the country, 8-3, while Gabriel Hocevar and Tristan Houle came through at No. 3, 8-6.
- The sides split the singles matchups evenly but the Fighting Knights posted the five points they needed for the win.
- 25th-ranked Bartmann knocked off yet another ranked opponent at the top singles flight, this time upsetting 14th-ranked Jordi Mas in a tight third set (6-4, 4-6, 7-5),
- Florian Clemares and Hocevar notched Lynn's final two points in straight sets. Clemares bested Fernando Rivas at No. 3, 6-3, 6-4 with Hocevar winning the No. 5 matchup with a pair of 6-2 frames.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- The win is Lynn's first over VSU since 2015. Valdosta St. beat Lynn 5-4 last season in Boca Raton and 5-3 the year before in Georgia.
- Lynn now has three wins over top-5 opponents in the past two seasons.
- VSU's Rivas played for the Fighting Knights in 2015.
Lynn remains in Valdosta, Ga. tomorrow, Sunday, Feb. 11, taking on West Florida in a neutral-site matchup contest.