Winter Park, Fla. – Lynn University's sixth-ranked men's tennis team opened up its 2018 Sunshine State Conference slate on the road Saturday afternoon, besting 16th-ranked Rollins College, 7-2.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Lynn 7, Rollins 2
Records: #6 Lynn (5-0, 1-0 SSC), #16 Rollins (0-3, 0-1 SSC)
Location: Bert Martin Tennis Complex| Winter Park, Fla.
All-Time Series: Lynn leads 28-6
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- All three doubles contests were close, with Lynn winning at the first and third flights.
- Jean-Baptiste Mateo and Florian Clemares outlasted Nicolo De Fraia and Guillermo Nicolas at the top spot, 8-6, while Tristan Houle and Gabriel Hocevar posted an 8-4 win at No. 3.
- The Tars got on the board with a tiebreaker win at the second flight, 9-8 (8-6).
- In singles, Rollins claimed the top flight, but Lynn rounded out two-through-six with straight-set wins to secure the victory.
- Mateo posted a strong 6-2, 6-1 triumph at No. 2.
- Clemares took down 19th-ranked Nicolas at No. 3, 7-6 (7-5), 6-3.
- Jose Porfirio Ordonez had a tight battle at No. 4, ultimately prevailing in a second-set tiebreaker (6-4, 7-6 (7-5)).
- Hocevar came out strong before bringing home the fifth flight, 6-0, 6-4.
- Houle locked in his second win of the day at the final spot with a 6-4, 6-2 decision.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- Lynn is 5-0 to start off a season for the first time since 2014.
- Kay Bartmann and Porfirio Ordonez suffered their first doubles loss of the season.
- Rollins has opened up its season with two top-11 opponents and Division I Stetson.
- De Fraia and Nicolas are the 8th-ranked doubles team in the region.
Lynn will have the week off before hosting Florida Atlantic in the South Florida Showdown on Saturday, Feb. 24 at 10 a.m.