BOCA RATON, Fla. – In a battle for Boca, NCAA Division I member Florida Atlantic University came out on top Saturday morning as Lynn University's third-ranked men's tennis team fell 5-0 to the Owls in the eighth matchup of Lynn University's South Florida Showdown.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: FAU 5, Lynn 0
Records: FAU (8-4), #3 Lynn (5-1)
Location: Perper Tennis Complex | Boca Raton, Fla.
All-time Series: Series tied 9-9
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Strong doubles play for the visiting Owls set the tone for the match as FAU swept pairs play.
- FAU's nationally-ranked duo of Remi Chancerel and Gabriel Sidney started off the scoring with an 8-3 victory at the top doubles flight.
- The Owls picked up their second point with an 8-4 win at No. 3 doubles.
- At the second flight, Jose Porfirio Ordonez and Kay Bartmann rallied for a comeback but fell, 8-6.
- FAU needed just two quick points in singles competition to halt the match.
- Lynn fell at the third and sixth singles flights in straight sets to decide the match.
- 25th-ranked Bartmann was the only Fighting Knight to hold a lead in singles play and won his opening set at the top position, 6-4.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- Today's contest was the eighth matchup in Lynn University's South Florida Showdown. The men's tennis team will also be featured in the ninth and final contest of the event when they host Georgetown on March 6.
- Through eight games, Lynn holds a 3-4-1 record in the South Florida Showdown.
- Lynn was handed its first loss of the season after starting off the year 5-0 for the first time since 2014.
- These two teams have met 18 times in the history of the programs, with each side now winning nine apiece. They had not played each other in 13 years however, last meeting in 2005.
Lynn must bounce back quickly for a huge match tomorrow, Feb. 25, as the Fighting Knights head south to take on rival No. 2 Barry at 11 a.m.