Miami Shores, Fla. – Two of the top three men's tennis teams in the country went to battle in South Florida on Sunday afternoon with third-ranked Lynn University falling to second-ranked Barry University in a Sunshine State Conference rivalry bout, 5-4.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Barry 5, Lynn 4
Records: #2 Barry (4-0, 2-0 SSC), #3 Lynn (5-2, 1-1 SSC)
Location: Buccaneer Tennis Center | Miami Shores, Fla.
All-Time Series: Barry leads 32-27
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Fighting Knights got off to a strong start, winning two of the three doubles matches.
- Jose Porfirio Ordonez and Kay Bartmann won at No. 2 doubles, 8-3, while Gabriel Hocevar and Adam Lunding Johansson – playing together for the first time – were victorious at the third flight (8-4).
- Barry got on the board with an 8-5 win at No. 1 doubles.
- In singles, the Bucs quickly made a push and jumped out in front with straight-set wins at the first, third and fourth flights.
- Hocevar picked up his second win of the day at No. 5 singles as he led 7-6, 5-2 before his opponent retired.
- At the No. 2 spot, Jean-Baptiste Mateo evened the match up at 4-4 with a big win over No. 8 Carlos Gomez in a third-set tiebreaker (1-6, 6-2, 7-6 (7-2)).
- The match came down to No. 6 singles as Tristan Houle and Flavio Matteoli split the first two sets, both in tiebreakers, before Matteoli brought home the win for Barry with a 6-0 third set.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- Lunding Johansson made his Lynn and collegiate debut.
- Barry was in the National Championship match last year.
Lynn closes out the South Florida Showdown on Tuesday, March 6 when the Fighting Knights host Georgetown at 3 p.m.