BOCA RATON, Fla. – All three doubles matches went down to the wire on Tuesday evening with Georgetown University gaining an early advantage over Lynn University's men's tennis team in the final contest of the 2017-18 South Florida Showdown. The third-ranked Fighting Knights responded valiantly in singles play, however, winning all six bouts for a 7-2 triumph over the NCAA Division I Hoyas.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Lynn 7, Georgetown 2
Records: #3 Lynn (6-2), Georgetown (2-3)
Location: Perper Tennis Complex | Boca Raton, Fla.
All-time Series: Lynn leads 9-0
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The doubles contests were neck-and-neck across the board with the Hoyas squeaking out two of the three flights for an early edge.
- This visitors went up 2-0 with a 9-8 (7-4) win at No. 1 doubles and an 8-6 triumph at No. 3 doubles.
- Jose Porfirio Ordonez and Kay Bartmann logged a critical win at No. 2 doubles, downing the Hoyas in a tiebreak (9-8 (7-0)).
- The Fighting Knights quickly went to work in singles competition and immediately put themselves back in control.
- Jean-Baptiste Mateo and Gabriel Hocevar each first won in straight sets at the No. 2 and No. 4 singles flights, respectively.
- Florian Clemares dropped his opening set at No. 3, but bounced back for a 3-6, 6-3, 6-2 victory.
- Porfirio Ordonez clinched the deciding fifth point and his second win of the day for the Blue and White with a 6-1, 2-6, 6-1 triumph at No. 5 singles.
- Bartmann followed up with a tight 7-5, 7-6 (7-2) win at the top flight before Tristan Houle closed out the night with a win at No. 6 in a third-set super breaker (5-7, 7-6, 10-4).
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- Lynn and Georgetown have met nine times in the history of the programs, with Lynn winning all nine matchups, dating back to 1998. The last time these two teams met on the court was 2012.
- Today's contest was the ninth and final game of the Lynn University 2017-18 South Florida Showdown – an event pitting the Division II Fighting Knights against NCAA Division I opponents on our campus. Lynn finishes the event with a 4-4-1 record with the men's tennis program going 1-1.
- The Hoyas have already played Florida Atlantic this week and will take on Barry University on Thursday during their trip to Florida.
Lynn ships off north to Lawrenceville, Ga. this weekend for a pair of matches at Georgia Gwinnett Colleges' 2018 Grizzly Spring Break Invitational.