Lawrenceville, Ga. – The top-ranked team in the NAIA was too tall a task on its home courts Saturday afternoon as the third-ranked Lynn University men's tennis team fell at Georgia Gwinnett College, 8-1, to close out the 2018 Grizzly Spring Break Invitational.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: GGC 8, Lynn 1
Records: #1 GGC (18-0), #3 Lynn (7-3)
Location: GGC Tennis Facility | Lawrenceville, Ga.
All-Time Series: Series tied 1-1
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Grizzlies commanded doubles competition, winning the top two flights 8-2 to go along with an 8-3 victory at No. 3 doubles.
- GGC carried over the momentum into singles play, winning the first four decisions to build a 7-0 lead.
- Jean-Baptiste Mateo notched Lynn's lone victory on the day, taking the No. 2 flight in three sets (6-7, 6-3, 11-9).
- The Grizzlies secured each of the other five singles matches in straight sets.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- Mateo's win in singles gives GGC just its second individual match loss of the entire season.
- Georgia Gwinnett has now been ranked in the No. 1 spot for 1,390 straight days, spanning 31 straight polls.
- GGC has now won 73 consecutive matches and defeated six NCAA Division II teams this spring.
- Lynn drops to 2-2 on the road this season.
Lynn returns home to host Auburn Montgomery at 3 p.m. on Wednesday, March 14.