BOCA RATON, Fla. – Visiting Auburn Montgomery was down a Warhawk but the third-ranked Lynn University men's tennis team still needed to take care of business and did just that in an 8-1 nonconference victory on Wednesday.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Lynn 8, AUM 1
Records: #3 Lynn (8-3), #22 AUM (4-5)
Location: Perper Tennis Complex| Boca Raton, Fla.
All-time Series: Lynn leads 11-7
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Florian Clemares and Tristan Houle won at the top doubles flight, 8-1, before Jose Porfirio Ordonez and Kay Bartmann grabbed an 8-2 victory at No. 2.
- Jean-Baptiste Mateo and Gabriel Hocevar picked up a win at No. 3 doubles by default.
- Mateo got the ball rolling in singles, taking down 50th-ranked Eban Straker-Meads at No. 2, 6-2, 6-0.
- At No. 3, Clemares handled his opponent in the opening set (6-1) but needed to battle in the second (7-5) for a straight-set triumph.
- Alvaro Terron logged AUM's lone win of the day in a tight bout at the top flight, downing Bartmann in a close three-set match (6-4, 4-6, 11-9).
- The fourth and fifth singles flights featured eight-game pro sets with Houle winning at No. 4, 8-4, and Hocevar taking the No. 5 contest, 8-5.
- Porfirio Ordonez logged a default win at No. 6.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- AUM only dressed five players.
- AUM is ranked 22nd nationally.
- Lynn and AUM have squared off every season from 2012-2018, with AUM's only win in that span over Lynn coming in 2016 (5-3).
Lynn returns to league action this weekend when the Fighting Knights travel to Florida Tech at 12 p.m. on Saturday, March 17.