Melbourne, Fla. – Lynn University's third-ranked men's tennis team returned to Sunshine State Conference action on Saturday afternoon, securing an 8-1 victory on the road at Florida Tech.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Lynn 8, FIT 1
Records: #3 Lynn (9-3, 2-1 SSC), FIT (7-3, 1-2 SSC)
Location: Desoto Tennis Complex | Satellite Beach, Fla.
All-time Series: Lynn leads 24-2
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Lyn built a 2-1 lead through doubles with wins at the first and third flights.
- Florian Clemares and Tristan Houle took the No. 1 matchup, 8-5, while Jean-Baptiste Mateo and Gabriel Hocevar paired up for an 8-2 victory at No. 3.
- The Panthers secured their lone point on the day at No. 2 doubles, winning 8-2.
- The Fighting Knights took all six singles matches to ensure the dominant victory.
- Mateo and Clemares each needed three sets for their wins at the first and third flights, respectively. Mateo dropped the first set, 6-3, before bouncing back, 6-1, 6-0. Clemares was ahead early, eventually winning 6-4, 3-6, 6-2.
- 25th-ranked Kay Bartmann posted a 6-4, 6-3 decision at No. 2.
- Houle (7-6, 6-2), Hocevar (6-2, 6-3) and Jose Porfirio Ordonez (6-3, 6-2) rounded out the lineup in the four, five and six spots, respectively, with straight-set triumphs.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- Bartmann did not play No. 1 singles for the first time this season.
- Lynn's nine wins on the season are currently tied for the SSC lead with Barry and Palm Beach Atlantic.
- FIT had won five straight matches before losing its last two to Lynn and Bluefield State.
- Today's 8-1 loss was FIT's largest of the season.
Lynn immediately returns to action tomorrow, March 18, with a 10 a.m. home match against Palm Beach Atlantic.