BOCA RATON, Fla. – Lynn University's men's tennis team took to the courts in Sunshine State Conference competition for the second straight day on Sunday with the third-ranked Fighting Knights posting an 8-1 home triumph over Florida Southern College.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Lynn 8, Florida Southern 1
Records: #3 Lynn (12-4, 5-1 SSC), FSC (6-7, 0-3 SSC)
Location: Perper Tennis Complex | Boca Raton, Fla.
All-Time Series: Lynn leads 27-8
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- A commanding performance in doubles play set the tone in favor of Lynn for the day as the Fighting Knights swept pairs play.
- Florian Clemares and Tristan Houle at No. 1 along with Gabriel Hocevar and Jean-Baptiste Mateo at No. 3 posted 8-3 victories for the Blue and White.
- Jose Porfirio Ordonez and Kay Bartmann logged a dominant 8-0 win at No. 2 doubles.
- Lynn won five of six singles matches with FSC notching its lone point of the day at No. 4 singles.
- Mateo (6-0, 6-4), Houle (6-4, 6-2) and Porfirio Ordonez (6-2, 6-0) recorded straight-set wins at the first, third and fifth flights, respectively. Mateo took down 46th-ranked Alvaro Arias.
- 71st-ranked Clemares dropped his first set at No. 2, but similar to recent trends, fought back for a three-set triumph (2-6, 7-6, 10-8).
- Renato van Veggel faltered in the first set of his collegiate career but bounced back to grab a win for Lynn at No. 6 singles (5-7, 6-3, 10-5).
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- Lynn and Barry currently lead the SSC with five league wins apiece, while Lynn and Palm Beach Atlantic each have a league-best 12 overall victories.
- van Veggel made his collegiate debut.
- Bartmann was pulled from the singles lineup.
The Fighting Knights will only have a day of rest before hosting Eckerd College on Tuesday, March 27 at 1 p.m.