BOCA RATON, Fla. – Lynn University's men's tennis team hosted a red-hot Saint Leo University squad in Sunshine State Conference competition on Saturday but the fourth-ranked Lions overpowered the fifth-ranked Fighting Knights, 7-2. Gabriel Hocevar won both of his matches for the Blue and White.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Saint Leo 7, Lynn 2
Records: #4 Saint Leo (15-0, 4-0 SSC), #5 Lynn (13-5, 6-2 SSC)
Location: Perper Tennis Complex | Boca Raton, Fla.
All-time Series: Lynn leads 31-5
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- An 8-2 win at the third flight from Hocevar and Jean-Baptiste Mateo prevented the Saint Leo pairs sweep.
- The Lions won 8-3 at No. 2 and 8-6 at No. 1 from the ninth-ranked tandem in the country.
- Saint Leo's trio of nationally-ranked singles players set the tone early in solo play with three straight-set victories to clinch the match.
- Hocevar notched his second win of the day at No. 5 singles, taking down Francisco Aparicio, 6-4, 6-3.
- Saint Leo took the fourth and sixth flights in straight sets.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- The No. 1 singles match featured fifth-ranked Mateo and the No. 1-ranked player in the country, Thomas Grinberg.
- Saint Leo has defeated two No. 1-ranked teams this season (West Florida, Barry).
- Lynn upset Saint Leo in last year's SSC Semifinals and NCAA South Regional Semifinals.
- Saint Leo is the only team without an SSC loss this season.
- The Fighting Knights concluded their regular-season slate.
Lynn now awaits its final standing in the conference and a seed for the SSC Tournament, taking place in Bradenton, Fla., April 19-21.