Bradenton, Fla. – Following a 2-1 doubles deficit that initially had the potential to swing all the way in the Fighting Knights' favor, Lynn University's men's tennis team remained resilient and never gave up the fight on Friday in the Sunshine State Conference Tournament semifinals. The fifth-ranked and third-seeded Fighting Knights battled to the final serve but narrowly fell 5-4 to second-ranked and second-seeded Barry in a classic South Florida rivalry bout.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Barry 5, Lynn 4
Records: #2 Barry (19-2), #5 Lynn (14-6)
Location: IMG Academy | Bradenton, Fla.
All-Time Series: Barry leads 33-27
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Fighting Knights got on the board first with an 8-6 win at No. 1 doubles from Kay Bartmann and Florian Clemares and had a shot to post a doubles sweep but couldn't pull it off.
- The Bucs took No. 2 doubles in a tiebreaker, 9-8 (7-5), and the No. 3 bout, 9-7.
- Bartmann continued his solid play into singles action, logging an impressive 6-0, 6-1 victory over 14th-ranked Carlos Gomez at the second flight to knot the match up.
- Straight-set wins from a pair of ranked Barry players at No. 1 and No. 5 put the opposition out ahead, 4-2.
- Jose Porfirio Ordonez kept his squad alive with a 2-6, 6-2, 6-4 triumph at No. 6 before Clemares tied the match at 4-4 with a 3-6, 7-6, 6-4 win at No. 3.
- The match came down to the No. 4 singles bout and while Tristan Houle held a lead late in the third set, a nagging injury hindered the Fighting Knight down the stretch as the Bucs won the fourth flight (6-4, 2-6, 7-5) and the match, 5-4.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- Lynn is the No. 3 seed in the tournament with Barry holding the No. 2 seed.
- Both meetings this season between these two teams resulted in close 5-4 Barry victories.
- The Bucs downed Lynn in last year's SSC Championship match.
Lynn will take on Embry-Riddle in the third-place match Saturday, April 21 at 1 p.m.