Bradenton, Fla. – After bowing out in the semifinals yesterday, Lynn University's men's tennis team had one last crack at Sunshine State Conference competition with a matchup against Embry-Riddle in the SSC Tournament third-place match. The fifth-ranked and third-seeded Fighting Knights took down the 18th-ranked and fifth-seeded Eagles on Saturday, 5-3.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Lynn 5, ERAU 3
Records: #5 Lynn (15-6), #18 ERAU (12-9)
Location: IMG Academy | Bradenton, Fla.
All-Time Series: Lynn leads 15-5
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Eagles got on the board first with a win at No. 3 doubles, but the Fighting Knights responded to garner the advantage.
- Jean-Baptiste Mateo and Jose Porfirio Ordonez rolled at No. 2, 8-1, while Kay Bartmann and Florian Clemares tackled the 15th-ranked squad in the nation at the top flight, 8-6.
- Lynn quickly put itself in position to clinch the match with a 6-3, 6-2 victory at No. 6 singles from Porfirio Ordonez and a 6-2, 6-4 decision from Gabriel Hocevar at No. 5.
- The Eagles fought back with close triumphs at the second and third flights.
- Sixth-ranked Mateo sealed the deal at No. 1 singles, defeating No. 29 Juan Ortiz Couder in three sets (6-3, 3-6, 6-4).
- Tristan Houle was leading 5-4 in the third set in his match at No. 4.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- Lynn is the No. 3 seed in the tournament with Barry holding the No. 5 seed.
- With yesterday's loss in the semifinals, the Lynn men's tennis program failed to reach the SSC Tournament title match for the first time since 2004. The Fighting Knights had been SSC Tournament Champions or runners-up for 13 straight years before this season.
Lynn now awaits its fate at the NCAA Selection Show next week for its further postseason assignments.