Saint Leo, Fla. – For the third time this season, Lynn University's men's tennis team bested a tough Embry-Riddle squad in a tight contest. On Monday, the fifth-ranked and third-seeded Fighting Knights took down the 21st-ranked and sixth-seeded Eagles in the first round of the NCAA South Region II bracket, 5-1.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Lynn 5, ERAU 1
Records: #5 Lynn (16-6), #21 ERAU (12-10)
Location: Saint Leo Tennis Center | Saint Leo, Fla.
All-Time Series: Lynn leads 16-5
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The top two doubles contests were tight, but an early win at No. 3 allowed Lynn to garner a 2-1 advantage.
- Gabriel Hocevar and Tristan Houle opened up the scoring with an 8-4 victory at the third flight.
- A 9-7 triumph at No. 2 doubles from Jean-Baptiste Mateo and Jose Porfirio Ordonez put Lynn up 2-0 but the Eagles fired back at No. 1 doubles in a tiebreaker, 9-8 (7-3).
- The Fighting Knights controlled singles play and three straight-set wins sealed the deal.
- At the end of the lineup, Hocevar (6-1, 6-0) and Porfirio Ordonez (6-3, 6-2) picked up singles wins at the fifth and sixth flights, respectively.
- After a close opening set at No. 3, Florian Clemares clinched the match for the Blue and White with a 7-6 (7-3), 6-4 win.
- Houle was nearing in on victory at No. 4 (6-2, 4-3) while 11th-ranked Mateo and No. 28 Juan Ortiz Couder split sets at the top position.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- Lynn earned the No. 3 seed in the South Region with ERAU taking the No. 6 seed. Saint Leo claimed the No. 2 seed and is serving as host of the South Region #2 bracket. Top-seeded Barry is hosting the South Region #1 bracket.
- Lynn and ERAU met three times this season with the Fighting Knights winning in the regular season (6-3), in the SSC Tournament Third Place match (5-3) and in the South Regional semifinals (5-1).
- The Blue and White have qualified for the NCAA Tournament in 16 consecutive seasons, but are looking for their first trip back to nationals since 2012.
- Lynn will face Saint Leo in the South Region II Championship.
- The winner of tomorrow's regional final will advance to the NCAA National Championships in Surprise, Ariz.
Lynn and Saint Leo hit the courts tomorrow morning, May 1, at 10 a.m. in the South Region II Championship.