West Palm Beach, Fla. – Lynn University's men's tennis team wrapped up a busy day of singles action on Saturday at the PBA Sailfish Invite. Kay Bartmann will play in the top singles flight championship tomorrow.
INSIDE THE TOURNAMENT:
Event: Sailfish Invitational
Host: Palm Beach Atlantic University
Location: Mitch Gornto Tennis Center | West Palm Beach, Fla.
Tournament Dates: Sept. 14-16
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
#1 Singles Flight
- Newcomer Lucas Baptista joined Bartmann in the #1 singles bracket.
- Bartmann had an impressive day, knocking off two tough conference foes in straight sets. He first took down Rollins' Nico De Fraia (6-4, 7-5) before topping Barry's Carlos Gomez in the semifinals (6-4, 6-2). Bartmann will face Saint Leo's Bruno Faletto in tomorrow's final.
- Baptista first dropped a tight three-setter to Faletto (1-6, 7-6 (4), 10-8) before coming up short again in the back draw.
#2 Singles Flight
- Gabriel Hocevar first fell to Blake Bayldon of Barry (6-1, 7-6 (1)) but responded in the back draw, taking down Saint Leo's Ghali Mensour (6-2, 7-6 (4)).
- Hocevar is in tomorrow's fifth-place match vs. FSC's Alvaro Arias.
#3 Singles Flight
- Jose Porfirio Ordonez started off the day with a 6-0, 7-5 triumph over PBA's Erik Carlsten but fell in the semifinals to Florida Southern's Tim Becker, 6-3, 6-1.
- He will face Saint Leo's Noel Kunz in tomorrow's third-place contest.
#4 Singles Flight
- Lynn did not have a player in the #4 singles bracket.
#5 Singles Flight
- Diego Valant opened with a tough three-set loss to PBA's Carlos Niemeyer (4-6, 6-2, 10-8) and then fell in straight sets in the back draw.
#6 Singles Flight
- Adam Lunding Johansson was downed by PBA's Thomas Salmon in the opening round (7-6 (5), 6-1) but the Fighting Knight responded with a 6-4, 6-2 victory over ASA's Joao Rodrigo Costa in the back draw.
#7 Singles Flight
- Renato van Veggel opened with a solid 6-2, 6-4 triumph over ASA's Freddie Cashmore-Chadwin, but was knocked out by FSC's Lenny Vossgetter in the semifinal's (4-6, 6-4, 10-7). He will battle for third place tomorrow.
#8 Singles Flight
- Freshman Ryan Neale was another bright spot for the Fighting Knights as he won both of his three-set matches in the final flight.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- Last year at this event, Lynn only had one player finish in the top four of a singles bracket. The Fighting Knights have three players this year that will finish top-four.
Both doubles and singles competition will wrap up tomorrow, Sunday, Sept. 16.