Lakeland, Fla. – Five Fighting Knights are in action this weekend as Lynn University's men's tennis team opened up play at the ITA South Region Championships on a rainy Friday.
INSIDE THE TOURNAMENT:
Event: 2018 ITA South Region Championships, presented by Oracle
Host: Florida Southern College
Location: Warden Tennis Center | Lakeland, Fla.
Tournament Dates: Sept. 21-24
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
- All five Fighting Knights in Lakeland are competing in the singles bracket, with three players still alive in the main draw.
- Robin Calais, making his Blue and White debut, fell in three sets to West Florida's Robin Rafaitin (4-6, 6-2, 10-8).
- Gabriel Hocevar also suffered a first-round setback to a UWF Argo, falling 6-4, 6-1 against Juan Motta.
- Lucca Baptista got the victories rolling for the Fighting Knights, taking down PBA's Pietro Silva in three sets (6-1, 2-6, 10-6).
- Jose Porfirio Ordonez recorded a 6-1, 6-3 triumph over Florida Southern's Oscar Sohl.
- Kay Bartmann followed up with a 6-1, 6-3 win over Atazan Gezer from Rollins.
- Baptista had an easier going in the second round, taking down Guy Feigin of Rollins, 6-1, 6-2.
- Porfirio Ordonez had a battle in his next match, but prevailed in three sets over Saint Leo's Bruno Faletto (2-6, 6-4, 10-8).
- Bartmann logged another straight-set victory, defeating Timo Christen from Alabama-Hunstville, 6-3, 6-2.
- Calais picked up his first Lynn victory in the back draw, defeating Marcus Lind 6-2, 6-1.
- Hocevar fell in three sets to Daniel Del Val.
- Both Fighting Knights doubles squads are through to the second round.
- Hocevar and Baptista received a first-round bye, while Bartmann and Porfirio Ordonez tallied a 9-7 triumph over Hall/Christen of Alabama-Huntsville.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- Baptista and Bartmann are both seeded in the singles draw.
The Fighting Knights continue play all weekend in Lakeland, Fla.