Miami Gardens, Fla. – Lynn University's third-ranked men's tennis squad took down the St. Thomas (Fla.) Bobcats on Tuesday night, 7-0, to kick off the team's 2019 season on a solid note.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Lynn 7, STU 0
Records: #3 Lynn (1-0), STU (0-2)
Location: Miami Gardens, Fla.
All-Time Series: Lynn leads 22-0
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- In doubles action, the teams of Kay Bartmann and Florian Clemares at No. 1 and Gabriel Hocevar and Jose Porfirio Ordonez at No. 3 posted 6-1 victories.
- The Bobcats held a 3-2 lead at No. 2 doubles.
- The Fighting Knights swept all six singles matches in straight sets to close out the match.
- Bartmann got the opening day nod at the top singles position, logging a 6-3, 7-6 triumph.
- Newcomer Lucca Baptista tallied a 6-0, 6-4 win at No. 2 singles.
- Returners Clemares (6-1, 6-2), Porfirio Ordonez (6-0, 6-0) and Hocevar (6-1, 6-0) recorded strong wins at the three-through-five spots, respectively.
- Newcomer Robin Calais shut out his opponent at the No. 6 flight (6-0, 6-0).
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- Lynn opens its season with a win over St. Thomas for the eighth year in a row.
- Two players made their Blue and White debut tonight.
- The Fighting Knights were ranked No. 3 in the ITA Preseason National Rankings.
- The Bobcats are receiving votes in the NAIA National Coaches Poll.
- Lynn and St. Thomas were supposed to play in Boca Raton on Friday, Feb. 1, but the match was postponed due to rain and moved to Miami Gardens.
The Fighting Knights will host their home opener this Thursday, Feb. 7, vs. Keiser at 3 p.m.