Saint Leo, Fla. – A big showing in doubles play proved to be the deciding factor on Saturday afternoon as Lynn University's third-ranked men's tennis team squeaked past No. 7 Saint Leo, 4-3, in each team's Sunshine State Conference opener.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Lynn 4, SLU 3
Records: #3 Lynn (3-0, 1-0 SSC), #7 SLU (2-2, 0-1 SSC)
Location: Saint Leo Tennis Center | Saint Leo, Fla.
All-Time Series: Lynn leads 33-5
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Lynn clinched the lone doubles point, which proved to be key, by taking two of the three bouts.
- Florian Clemares and Kay Bartmann won at the top spot, 6-1, with Jose Porfirio Ordonez and Robin Calais winning at No. 3, 6-4.
- In singles, the Lions claimed the top two flights, with a three-set win at No. 2.
- Clemares came through at No. 3 singles for his second win of the day, winning his match in three sets after falling behind early (6-7, 6-4, 7-6).
- 38th-ranked Porfirio Ordonez logged a dominant victory at the No. 4 spot, 6-1, 6-0.
- Calais brought home the victory with a three-set triumph at No. 5 singles, also after falling behind early (3-6, 6-3, 6-1).
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- Patrick Bessinger made his Blue and White debut, playing in the No. 2 doubles bout.
- Saint Leo was the SSC Regular Season Champions a year ago. The Fighting Knights upset Saint Leo in the South Region Championship last season when the Lions were the No. 2 team in the country.
- Saint Leo won last year's regular-season matchup over Lynn, 7-2.
The Fighting Knights are right back at it tomorrow morning, Sunday, Feb. 17, hosting Webber International at 11 a.m.