St. Augustine, Fla. – Lynn University's third-ranked men's tennis team went on the road for a tough battle on Sunday afternoon, ultimately suffering its first loss of the season with a tight 4-3 setback at the hands of No. 15 Flagler College.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Flagler 4, Lynn 3
Records: #15 Flagler (5-2), #3 Lynn (5-1)
Location: Flagler Tennis Center | St. Augustine, Fla.
All-Time Series: Lynn leads 13-4
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Fighting Knights held the early lead, going up 1-0 after winning two of the three doubles matches. No. 2 doubles went unfinished after being tied 6-6.
- Florian Clemares and Kay Bartmann logged a 7-5 triumph at No. 1 doubles while Gabriel Hocevar and Patrick Bessinger were victorious at the third flight, 6-4.
- In singles play, Lucca Baptista posted a 6-2, 6-2 win at No. 2 but the Saints took the third and fourth flights in straight sets to tie up the match.
- The No. 5 and No. 6 singles bouts each went to three sets. Flagler won at No. 5, but Robin Calais pulled through for the Fighting Knights at No. 6 (6-0, 3-6, 6-3).
- The match came down to the top flight with Flagler's Lukas Storck securing the victory for his team in a third-set tiebreaker (7-5, 5-7, 7-6 (7-3)).
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- Flagler took down three teams ranked inside the NCAA DII top-20 this week, also defeating No. 18 Embry Riddle (4-2) and No. 6 Saint Leo (5-2).
- Flagler earned its first win over Lynn during the NCAA D2 era.
The Fighting Knights return to league action on Wednesday, Feb. 27, with a trip to Eckerd College.