BOCA RATON, Fla. – Following a tough road loss last Sunday, Lynn University's third-ranked men's tennis team went up against a hot and undefeated Rollins College squad at home on Saturday, securing a 5-2 Sunshine State Conference win over the Tars.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Lynn 5, Rollins 2
Records: #3 Lynn (6-1, 3-0 SSC), Rollins (5-1, 0-1 SSC)
Location: Perper Tennis Complex | Boca Raton, Fla.
All-Time Series: Lynn leads 30-6
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The teams split the first two doubles matches to finish, with Rollins winning the third flight and Lynn's pair of Jose Porfirio Ordonez and Lucca Baptista taking the second flight, 6-3.
- The doubles point came down to a tight match at the top position, with Lynn's Kay Bartmann and Florian Clemares grinding out a tiebreaker win (7-6 (7-5)) over the 17th-ranked pair of Melhoui/Feigin.
- In singles play, Rollins quickly tied up the match at 1-1 with a straight-set victory at No. 6.
- The Fighting Knights responded, however, taking the second, third and fifth flights to clinch the match.
- Baptista picked up his second win of the day at No. 2 singles, 6-2, 6-4.
- Robin Calais took the first set in a tiebreaker at No. 5 singles before closing out the win (7-6 (7-3), 6-1).
- Clemares logged the clinching point at the third flight in a three-set win over No. 21 Ziad Melhaoui (6-3, 3-6, 6-0).
- No. 38 Porfirio added Lynn's fifth point with a three-set triumph at No. 4 singles (6-3, 4-6, 6-3).
- The Tars closed out the day with a third-set super breaker victory at the top flight.
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- Rollins is coming off a big win over No. 15 Flagler, who handed Lynn its first loss of the season on Sunday.
- The Fighting Knights are the only team in the league already with three conference wins this season.
Lynn will host a plethora of nonconference matches the next two weeks, starting with NCAA Division I Georgetown on Monday, March 4, at 2 p.m.