BOCA RATON, Fla. – For the second consecutive year, Lynn University's third-ranked men's tennis team took down NCAA Division I Georgetown University, dropping the Hoyas in nonconference play Monday evening, 5-2.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: Lynn 5, Georgetown 2
Records: #3 Lynn (7-1), GU (3-8)
Location: Perper Tennis Complex | Boca Raton, Fla.
All-Time Series: Lynn leads 10-0
Get Social: Twitter - @Lynn_Knights | Instagram - @Lynn_Knights | Facebook - /LynnFightingKnights
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Contrary to last year's matchup, the Fighting Knights controlled doubles action, winning all three flights.
- The pairs of Kay Bartmann/Florian Clemares and Jose Porfirio Ordonez/Lucca Baptista each registered 6-2 victories at the top two positions.
- Gabriel Hocevar and Robin Calais brought home the sweep at No. 3 doubles, 6-3.
- Baptista put Lynn up 2-0 with a quick win at No. 2 singles (6-4, 6-1).
- No. 3 and No. 1 singles would both go three sets with the Hoyas taking the third flight and Bartmann grinding out a 4-6, 6-4, 6-4 triumph at the top spot for Lynn.
- GU stayed alive with a straight-set win at No. 4 singles.
- Hocevar clinched the match however, winning the No. 6 contest, 7-5, 6-3.
- With the match decided, the No. 5 bout went to a third-set super breaker, as Calais closed out the night in exciting fashion (7-6 (8-6), 4-6, 10-5).
BEYOND THE BOXSCORE:
- The Fighting Knights and the Hoyas met last year in the finale of Lynn's 2017-18 South Florida Showdown, with the Blue and White winning 7-2.
- Georgetown suffered back-to-back losses to Sunshine State Conference teams this week, falling to Barry yesterday (7-0). The Hoyas are on a five-match losing streak.
- These two programs have been playing each other since 1998 with Lynn winning all 10 matchups.
The Fighting Knights continue a stretch of home matches, hosting the University of Texas, Arlington on Wednesday, March 6, at 1 p.m.